Sunday, September 29, 2013

We come from different backgrounds...

Today was our 6 year anniversary. We had a nice relaxing day. We went to church, Brycen played football, we ordered Chinese food, napped, and watching football all day. It was the perfect day! The best part of the day? A short conversation we had when we were leaving church. We were stopped by a lady at the church and she told us she wanted us to know how good our children were. She told us she thought we were amazing parents, especially being so young. Then she asked a question that has stuck with me since.

"How did you learn how to parent so well? Did you grow up with good examples?"

Well, yea. We did!

Brad and I came from 2 totally different backgrounds.
I was raised in a Christian home with 2 very Godly parents.
There was always a parent home when we left for school and for the most part, always one when we got home.
My parents always came to our school events and sporting events. Every parent teacher conference and every piano recital.
We took family vacations and saw our extended family quite a bit for the distance there was between us.

I came from a family where there just isn't divorce. My parents have been happily married for 28 years, my grandparents for over 50.

So yes, it is easy for me to say I grew up with good examples.

I don't know all the details about Brads past but I know it was much different than mine.

His mom raised him and his brother. He didn't have a relationship with his dad, who ended up dying while he was in highschool.
His mom was CONSTANTLY having to work to provide for her family so there was no one at home when he woke up in the mornings.
He did have a step dad for a few years but that wasn't a great relationship for him either and once that marriage was over, Amy went back to having to provide for her boys and raise them on her own.
He has a HUGE family, some of whom he doesn't even know.
He has some aunts and uncles that he hasn't seen in 10 + years.

And just as easy as it is for me to say I grew up with good examples, so did he.

Our parents raised us COMPLETELY different but they all provided their own good examples in different ways.

And just like we were raised completely different, we are finding we tend to parent in different ways. There are going to LOTS of arguments over the years when it come to discipline and how we handle different situations.

The ONE MAIN THING we both got growing up though was unconditional love and as long as that is the ONE MAIN THING we both show our kids, then I think we are going to be ok.

This whole parenting thing is going to be such a learning experience. I just pray that in 20-25 years someone can ask my kids the question we were asked today and they can smile and say the same thing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment